My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Real Job...

"The first duty of a human being is to assume the right functional relationship to society -- more briefly, to find your real job, and do it." ~ Charlotte Perkins Gilman

So what does that look like exactly? My "real job", I mean. Since I'm on this quest to find this, I should probably know what it looks like, right? Houston ~ we have a problem.

I truly believe that the "right functional relationship to society" for me is in service to others and I mostly picture that as in service to children and/or the underprivileged. However, here is what I can also picture...me in an energetic role leading department(s) of employees to achieve great things at their jobs (to be better at "doing" than they thought they could be). I also see subdivisions of beautiful houses that are filled with clients that are so pleased to be living in their homes because I helped them with this most difficult process of building a home. I see myself in leadership meetings with other leaders of the company being honest about what work needs to get done and how we (the leaders) can make a difference in that/those outcome(s). Hmmm...I see creative energy abound -- designing a system to make some current way of working to be done better, running a kitchen of some sort (either baking cookies and treats or a business' catering functions), helping a marketing team create new energy about a product or a business...oooo!! That sounds SO good! I always say, even though I hate sales, I could sell wool socks to a billy goat if I believe in the socks!

I think this is part of my current problem (note the use of the word current there!). I can honestly see myself in all of these roles, thus narrowing my focus abilities! To work hard and creatively all the while making a difference in my little (or big) part of the world!! That's my real job!

There's so much to do and I'm half-way through my "work years" already!

Seriously, someone should hire me soon...time is ticking people! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment