My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Every Day's a Vacation

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live." ~ Lin Yutang

I have officially been "off" work for 6 months and 9 days. Huh. In words, it seems like a long time to me. And on days, it feels that way too. It has certainly not been a vacation for me by any means, nor have I spent a single afternoon in a "useless" manner. People say that finding a job is more work than having one. Huh, again. Not sure if that is true, but I bet it made someone feel better if they believed it. I don't, but that's only because I really am a hard worker. I can't work hard or fast enough (unless it's Friday afternoon, and then, puh-leeze...do not get me started on that!). So this "vacation" of mine has been filled with lots of stuff to do, but not much that felt like work.

We just got back from a long weekend with James and Lisa in Florida. Oh how we love to play with them. And the four of us have certainly learned how to spend a perfectly lovely afternoon being perfectly useless. Ahh. It refreshes the soul, doesn't it? Such a grand life we have.

My husband's energy (for me) is that something is going to "pop" (please tell me he is NOT talking about the button on pants as I could not handle going up ANOTHER size!!) for me in the job market this spring. I wonder if he knows that Spring is only 2 weeks away. But that's his energy and I am just happy to have it be positive and surrounding me! And, as I have said before, Lisa is my biggest fan (yes, I have fans), so her energy is all about what a difference I can make in the world and it's usually bigger than anything I have ever dreamed for myself. And James...well, he's like my Cupcake (Jeanne)...you can't say one negative thing about him, so his energy just surrounds me with greatness!

That was my vacation...surrounded by three people who are building me to greatness. And I'm thankful and my hope is renewed and my spirit is lifted by having been with them for 5 days. Even unpacking didn't seem to dampen my spirits (but let's not pretend, it's still not fun). And I was thankful for their energy this past week as I received four more "hey, thanks but no thanks, even though we didn't even call you or meet you to see how great you are 'cuz we're really not interested in you but hope that you do well in your search and no need to reach us again" emails. Oh - was that title kind of long? Well, it's truly how I feel.

How can you even know I'm not the right candidate when you have never even spent 30 seconds getting to know me? How can I tell you how fabulous I am or what ideas I think I could bring to this job if I'm not given the time to tell you? That is what is most frustrating to me. This big ol' world just operates in one way and it has gotten worse and worse. Now, the computer will tell an employer if someone is the right match for the job. C'mon! Let's get back to the heart of running business people. When people were great and they hired more great people. Not when a computer couldn't find the "key tag words" they were looking for. The world was far better off when people used their hearts and heads to do their jobs instead of finding excuses why they couldn't get it done.

Grrrr....I'm ready to go back on vacation...............

No comments:

Post a Comment