My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Power Within

"Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your task." ~ Phillip Brooks

I spent the afternoon with my friend Princess (Deb). And YES, I DO have nicknames for all the people in my life that I love -- yes, ALL of them! Princess has just moved down here from our old stomping grounds (Plymouth, WI) when we worked at Wilderness Log Homes. She now works for the (new) Harley-Davidson dealership in Oconomowoc (http://www.wishd.com/) and is charge of executing their marketing plans and handles the daily administrative duties that such a business requires to be done. I helped her get the company set up on the all-important social networking sites (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) that are such a big part of doing business these days. Heck, the (World/Corporate) headquarters for Harley already has nearly 3/4's of million followers on Facebook! IMPORTANT stuff people!

So we did it. We got the dealership all set up on these social network sites and she understands some great ways to use them as sales tools, how to meet with the owners weekly for what's important to them to have "wallpapered" and "tweeted" (of course she will have to teach them what that means, too!), how to drum up excitement for upcoming events, and most importantly how to build customer loyalty using these tools. YEAH! I hope for this company to succeed beyond expectations because they are just a bunch of really great people who just want to make their stake in a business they love (and I think we all know how much I admire them for their bravery in doing this!). As they (the 3 owners) say -- "Life's short...screw it, let's ride!"

When I left Princess, she looked a little like a doe in the headlights. I've seen that look before -- after all, I've worked with her for seven years and at one point, she was the administrative lead for my departments making sure they all ran at the speed of light. So I know that look. But here's the thing -- while yes it is a new and potentially overwhelming thing to manage all of these things in addition to everything else "you" have to do (and yes I am speaking to her and others and myself), it is NOT something "you" can't do and beyond that, do well.

Princess is a task person - tell her what to do, it's done. But have her create, she questions her ability to do so. And yet, if she stopped to look at what really wakes up the little light inside, it is precisely that -- when she is part of the creation of something great. Too bad her "it" tells her she's not already great.

So, I'm going to tell her (again). Princess - you are great. You are more than capable and quite frankly, no part of you wants to become stagnant by just doing tasks you already know for sure you can do.

As her former "boss", close friend, and co-worker, I don't doubt for a minute that she can handle it. So, Princess, put your cape on and get it done! Believe that you can because your powers are great. Believe that you can because you can. And thanks for needing me today and letting me be in service of something. It was nice to be "at work" today!! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment