My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Inspiration

Definition of Inspire: 1 a : to influence, move, or guide. To exert an animating, enlivening, or exalting influence on. To motivate. To infuse (as life) by breathing. To draw forth or bring out. ~ Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The other day, a friend of mine (her daughter has been in my Girl Scout troop for 7 years!) touched my heart. She has had a double mastectomy/breast cancer and blasted through it like it was a common cold bringing light, authenticity and lack of victimization to her fight. She has a magnificent chest now and LOVES to remind me that she's not wearing a bra (witch!). This women, this cancer survivor, this mother of three, told ME (you should really be sitting for this part) that "I INSPIRE HER EVERYDAY TO BE A BETTER WOMAN". I am tearing up as I type that. How can that possibly be?!

Seriously! Did she not hear the one about the mother of three who had a double mastectomy?!

Those words are a gift on my heart and I shall never forget them. It has inspired me to write this blog today as I can not stop thinking of her telling me that. For my entire adult (and maybe even teenage) life, I have dreamed a dream where every day I make a difference in some one's life -- EVERY DAY. What I have not been able to dream is the realization of what that looks like. I just assumed that in order for that dream to come true, I would have to be like Oprah moving through the world one nation at a time. But I don't have to. Who I am (at work and at home) is an authentic woman that cares deeply about people that I can touch in some way with my walk in life that is filled with truth, exuberance, joy, sunshine (of course), and a belief that we can all be the grandest versions of ourselves that God intended for us to be. And quietly, people will notice the mission and they will become proud of themselves and confident within their own hearts and joyful in their own walks.

See, I don't believe life is filled with all the drama we decide to give it. "You" don't need to send/receive 750 texts a months to BE important - to BE of value. If you don't feel well, get better - and if you can't get better, be well. But don't BE a victim. If you must have the latest whatever, good, go get it, but don't BE that object. You are not a smart-phone or an i-pod or a whatever. BE important to you and the people you love. BE with them. What we need in the world is more people like my friend Carole, who authentically LIVE and touch people by having known them and aren't afraid to touch other people's hearts because you have touched hers.

Life is calling ~ go answer your smart phone and inspire someone today. Show up as a fascinating person who is fabulous and hard-working and gracious and loving and full of being. Show up at work that way and watch what a difference you make in the lives of your co-workers and what a difference it will make in yours. Make a difference. That's what I would be doing right now if I was "at work". And according to my friend, I am anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment