My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Monday, February 8, 2010

If I were brave...

So, I have a favorite saying as I'm sure we all do. But mine gets to the core of who I am as a first born of four daughters given a lot of responsibility in life at an early age (something to this day I am thankful for) and as someone who hates to disappoint people. It goes: "What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?"

PHEW! It gets me every time I say it! Let's see...I would open a cookie bakery with an ice cream parlor....I would move somewhere warm....I would march right into the office of the man I want to work with/for and tell him I'm not leaving until I have a desk and a start date....I would start my OWN home building company and show all the others (OK many of the others) what it means to REALLY deliver unparalleled service and empathy for each client as it is one of the hardest things they will ever do (and I would still do that while being fiscally responsible to the business)...and I would have had birthed children. OOO, and I might be a photographer of people's moments in life as I viewed them.

You know -- simple things.

The funny thing about this realization is that I always considered myself to BE brave. I consider myself to be one of the most self-aware, self-confident women I know. And yet, when it comes to these things, I don't leap. Truth is, I'm not brave about things I can see not working out. I'm not sure why since I truly think that mistakes in life are just that MISS-TAKES -- you know, do-overs, life lessons, practices, chances to perfect something.

I even have a name for my cookie store (and the cute t-shirts picked out for the staff -- they say "One Hot Cookie" on them - so cute, right?!), and I know exactly what I would wear for my first day at my new job working for you-know-who and more importantly I know exactly how well I would listen that first day so that I could soak in all the information of the great people around me there. OH! And I know what I would have named my (birth) children.

What would I do today if were brave?

Maybe I would run an ad letting everyone know that I want to work for a company with at the center of it's success is the heart of it's people and that I would make a great addition to that heart-centered company and that I would own it as if is was my own...because I get what it took for that person to be brave enough to start or run this company and I get that each day they consider their success and the success of all those that work with and for them.

And because I would be honored to work for someone so brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment