My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Monday, February 15, 2010

Successful People

"The thing I remember best about successful people: They just love what they are doing, and they love it in front of others."

Truer words may never have been spoken. I wonder who was wise enough to think of that...someone successful, I'm sure!

When I first left my "perfectly good" job, I had many conversations with the home builder I used to work for (about coming back w/ them) and with a company that my friend Karen (Jeff/Pedro's wife) worked for. Both of these companies are on that vision board in my head of places I would love to be.

In fact, in my conversations with, let's call it the "right company for me" (those who know Karen will get this name), all of which were wonderfully long, inspiring talks, I left feeling a sense of renewed hope. Hope that I could be successful there someday. In fact, when I hung up the phone with this gentleman (his name is Cliff), I actually cried because I was so moved at what this company does and how much I could see myself doing that with them. I called my husband and told him if I ever call him from jail, it will be due to the fact that I violated some restraining order! ;o) My conversations with Cliff, Debbie and Holly had me resolved that this was the Right Company for me...or at the very least a company that was equally as resolved to make businesses better, people's lives better, and keep the heart in the center of it all.

What separates them from other people that I have met with, talked with, interviewed with, networked with, etc. is that they are passionate about their jobs (just like the gentlemen who I thought I was going to go work with). I mean fully on, owning their jobs, giving it all, driven, and using their hearts to go to work everyday. ON.

We all have those "on" moments, but in my opinion, those who are most successful (career wise) are those that get to turn it ON for work! Now, I am "on" (still)...just haven't been for work in a long, long time. I am "on" when I am a Girl Scout leader, or when we volunteer to help people with our church group that helps under privileged people in our community, or I'm baking (especially with my daughters), or I am helping my friends with their kids and/or homes. But I haven't been "on" at my work for a very long time. And I miss that. I miss when auto-pilot is you performing at an amazing level at your job -- getting "it" all done and then saying, "Thank you sir may I have another"!! That kind of "on"....when your juices get flowing to get to work even before that cup of tea/coffee has hit your lips!

Those are the people that I wish to be like (again). That is how I want to feel when I go to work - again. That is how I want to measure my success...by the passion of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment