My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mule vs Fairy

"Rest your wings" ~ Dani

So much of my life, and for sure ALL of my adult life, I have been a mule. And oh so proud of it. But I'm not sure why that is -- the pride part. I love to work hard and I love the confidence I have in knowing that I AM that kind of worker bee.

But I am just not sure why that is so important to me. And it didn't dawn on me until this past week when I was thankful for the quiet meditation of my steamin' hot showers. In that post, my friend, Dani, was also thankful (for me) because of my hot, meditative showers for "when else would I find time to rest my wings?". That simple statement has been resonating with me for days now.

Mule or Fairy.

Why is it so important to be a mule? How glorious would my life be if I flitted a little? I could use a little glitter, a nice boa, and maybe a sparkley little trail left behind me. Instead, I just plow through my day making sure that I cross at least 694 things off my To Do list and reminding myself of all the things I didn't finish.

Who wants to be an ass their whole life?

Mule or Fairy...I need to grow a pair (of wings, that is) and pay attention to this sparkley, shiney side of my life (or rather, create it). I don't want to be any less hard working, but I sure would like to feel a little more effervescent at moments when I don't NEED to be "working" like a mule. Goodness sakes, I'm almost 44 and I just NOW discovered that I have "wings to rest".

"Just living is not enough", said the Butterfly Fairy, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." ~ Hans Christian Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment