My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Tribute to Dad

Jeanne's dad, Ashley's Grandpa, died this morning. I'm so sad for my best friend and her daughter. Both of her parents died of cancer about 10 years apart. Mom's battle was long and graceful. Dad's was fast and painful. Blucky.

No words can help me take away my Cupcake's pain (or my God-daughter's) and that is a helpless feeling. Nothing I can say or do will ease her pain. Nothing I say or do will bring a smile to her heart. I'm just hoping that in knowing that I love her, her heart will feel lifted, if even for just a few moments.

So, today I am grateful that I got to know "Dad" for the past 30 years. I'm grateful for that because knowing such a peaceful and graceful man has taught me more about my best friend. I am grateful that God gave my best friend such a wonderful man for a father. And I am grateful that, in my mind, Dad is having fun with Mom tonight for the first time in many, many years!

2 comments:

  1. Traci,
    I'm holding your friend close, sharing her raw broken heart. I must say, there are no words even though everyone feels like they have to say something. I was taught once that the gift of one's presence - no words needed, is a ministry few can master. To be with them, in silence, holding their hand or embracing them while their bodies wrack with tears and their minds try to absorb the loss, that's enough.

    I had a melt down one morning after Dad's funeral. I was in my room crying away, by myself and letting it all come out. Someone heard me and came to my side. Another person crawled up on the bed behind me while another sat next to me stroking my hair. Four or five women surrounded me and not one said a word. If you'd seen it in a movie you'd probably think it was over the top, but I've got to tell you it was like a patchwork love quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Chocolate truffle cheesecake and totally southern vanilla pound cake with chocolate buttercream frosting with enough sugar to melt the enamel right off your teeth didn't hurt anything!

    ReplyDelete