My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Inspire Your Mind

Inspire your mind....I've been thinking about inspiration a lot lately. Where it comes from, why it hits when it does, how to channel it, what to do with it, how to use it, why it fails you when you seem to "need" it most, how to foster it, how to recognize it, how to sift through it all.

It seems that this time of year, at least in the Midwest, inspiration is at a low point. Folks are deprived of Vitamin D, their senses are in hibernation, white and gray seem to be the only shades of color we see and thought processes seem to be afraid to pop out for fear of the coldness.

I think it's important for us all to find ways to inspire our minds this time of year -- to look to others and other sources for inspiration. To find ways to remind our senses that "this too shall pass" and we'll come out of it on the other side with a bright, playful, colorFULL bunch of ideas and motivations to create.

For me, I look to the south and the west for inspiration. I look to homes that are full of color and chefs that can still snip some fresh rosemary and I even turn my little portable heater to full blast when I am showering so the flush of warmth will permeate my entire body. I seek out colorful purses and scarves, fragrant herbs, and pictures of bright houses around the world. I fill my days with island music and pineapple soda. I watch tons of shows on the Travel Channel and I try to dance a little more during my day.

We always get through it, but it seems like every year I come to loathe it even more. I know I only have five years, three months and three weeks left here in this ice jail, but that doesn't always make it seem OK. So, in the meantime, I shall try not to look at my pool which has six foot drifts of snow piled on top of it and instead, I shall go light a "Moonlight Path" candle and snuggle with my hubby. Snugglin' seems to be the only thing good about being in this prison.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go purse shopping.........and paint my toenails pink --even if no-one will see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment