My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Many Moms

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Today I think I shall honor all the wonderful Moms in my life! So many beautiful women that made me who I am today...

Rosie Goo -- my Ma...she thinks she's insane and I think she may be...after all, she did have FOUR daughters to make her that way! :o) My mom had a crappy example of what a good Momma is. I didn't. No matter what she tells you. She taught me to be a leader, to be responsible, to be hard working, to be creative, to be brave, to be a fighter, to never stand for less than God intended for you, to believe in God, and to love my sisters soo soooo soooo much!

Gramma Sara -- my step mom...supportive, logical, and accepting. Mom has taught me value and fun and my Daddy is lucky to have her. She is peaceful and able to sit in stillness and I relish that in her!

Auntie Val -- my other-mother...has taught me that it's OK to be like my dad and if it's not a right angle it's just wrong! She taught me to have pride in myself, to be dedicated and to not take any crap -- from anyone. She loves all 467 of her nieces, but I'm the only one who was lucky enough to have lived with her during my "I'm an adult but it's too hard stage". She taught me the value of story telling and how important it is to a family's history.

Kathy Roe -- another other-mother, my Driver's Ed teacher in HS...Kathy was my other-mother during a very difficult time in my family's life. She taught me stability, adventure, and authenticity -- above all, authenticity. For the last 30 years she has been my friend, my mentor, and has believed in my abilities to do and achieve anything.

Jeanne, Michelle, Rhonda, Peggy and Kelly's moms -- my best friends in HS and I am lucky to have met them and loved them and their mothers. Our mothers protected us, raised us ALL, treated us with respect and loved each of us like their own.

Phyllis -- my Ex's mom...I miss her terribly as I don't keep in contact with her since my divorce (long story and a request by my ex), but on this earth, I don't think there is another human being that I am not related to that I could have loved or adored more. I miss her all the time and say a prayer for her every Mother's Day.

My Sisters (Toni Lynne, Tam, Doli) -- while not my mothers in this world, they taught me how to be a great mom and I have learned endlessly from each of them -- not only in helping to raise them as kids but also because each of them is a fiercely beautiful mother and their children are the luckiest children on the face of the Earth!

Carol Burdick -- John's mom. I've never met her. But I have to think that I would have liked to as she raised the world's most beautiful husband, father and man I have known. And for that, I am thankful and know that I have too learned from her.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you fiercely beautiful mothers! xxooxxooxxooxxoo

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to be loved and nurtured and mentored by so many women. No wonder you're you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. taryn catarozoli-benefielMay 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM

    one word sister- "beautiful"
    love you!

    ReplyDelete