My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Monday, May 10, 2010

I Hit Delete

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

I deleted all of the emails, notifications, etc. Yup, I cut the cord.

My husband and I had a conversation on Saturday morning. Well, he talked, I cried and tried to talk (what's new, right?!) We were both clear that I wasn't doing any one thing well. I wasn't finding a job "well". I wasn't trying to figure out how to make (literally, MAKE) Cookie Concoctions work in a kitchen somewhere (can't be a home kitchen) "well", and I am not OK about being a stay at home (1/2 time) mom, and I can't afford to go to school full-time w/o going in debt which if you haven't notice is a four-letter word and ESPECIALLY to me!

Good times! Thank God I quit my perfectly good job in August! Yes...thank God.

The night before I had talked to a commercial building owner in this sweet little town by us called Genesee Depot. It's as cute as it was when I was a little girl and is the next town over from where we live (7 minutes away). This man, Gary, was one of the nicest gentlemen I've had the pleasure of talking too. Anyway, I told Gary "thanks for the info, this is just a dream...blah blah blah).

The next morning, after my "chat" with my husband, I was also clear that we BOTH felt very strongly that I could run a successful bakery -- that it would be at a minimal risk to our family and that if anyone could do it, I could! We drove to Genesee and he fell in love with the two buildings I had talked to Gary about the night before. We called Gary and asked him if he could drop everything and come right over to show us inside. Far cry from 16 hours earlier when I told him it was just a dream..oh and he'd be there in 20 minutes.

Twenty minutes after he arrived..."Daddy, can you drop everything and come here right now?!"

"But of course I can honey........."

My dad (a general contractor and Master Carpenter my whole life) confirmed my suspicions that I would have minimal construction to make this lovely little spot my bakery. I love when he talks money! ;o) I love minimal even more!

I'm in love. Fully, deeply, dreaming-ly in love. It is the cutest little spot in the cutest little town that gets more than 7,000 cars per day driving right past its doors going a mere 25 mph! Picture it -- parking out front, the bakery open sign flapping in the breeze, the lovely smell of cookies and cakes and cookies and brownies and cookies and caramel corn wafting out of the sun-filled room. Ahhh. Totally in love.

And I shall call it.......Sally's Sweetshoppe or Sally's Sweetshop (haven't decided yet) and run my Cookie Concoctions out of there and all sorts of lovely treats which I have developed the recipes for! And I will build it and they will come.

They will come as they are going in droves past the bakery to get to the major freeway here, as they are going to tour Ten Chimneys Museum (a mere 1/2 mile away), or as they get out of church (less than 1 mile away), or perhaps on their way to Magee Elementary (1/2 mile away) or Kettle Moraine High School (a few miles away), or perhaps just because they heard there was a great, fun, sunny bakeshop in Genesee Depot!

Anyway you look at, it was worth deleting my piles of email notifications about jobs that I wasn't going to get anyway and focusing my energies on Sally's Sweetshoppe (or ...shop) :o) I have a call into the health department (that will be returned tomorrow at the earliest) and should things go the way I expect them to with the consultation meeting I am trying to set up with them (to see what I would need to do to bring up to code) you will soon be one of the first to learn of the humble beginnings of a beautiful little bakery in a beautiful little town that radiates sunshine and chocolate from its walls.

And I needed to do was hit delete! ;o)

4 comments:

  1. Traci,
    Tears are running down my face. I am about to jump and do the happy dance. Woohoo! You are a star. I am so proud of you. I know you can do it. I can see it all very plainly and I'm really not much of a visionary.

    Yesterday's sermon was all about having a vision, or more to the point, God having a vision for our lives and our ability to say Okay when he nudges us.Unlike you, when the Master spoke, I was hit smack in the face, with get off your butt ME. At least I know the plan, and in God's timing it will be a no brainer.

    Congratulations.
    Woohoo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. big ol' smile! i love seein' people dive in!
    go woman go!!! behind ya all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the happiness just OOZING from this post, Trace!! We're so excited for you. Great things are happening!!! Looking forward to adding my photos to your bakery walls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey -
    I happened across your blog through a Google Alert for where I work - Ten Chimneys. I am a self-taught baker currently looking for some part-time work. I have a HUGE passion for baking and I'm looking to gain some practical bakery experience. Once you get up and running, I'd love to help out if you need an extra hand! I was excited to read your post! If you're interested in getting touch, please drop me an email at markneufang@att.net and let's chat! I can tell you about my work and I'd be interested to hear more of your plans! Good for you!

    Mark Neufang

    ReplyDelete