My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Full Story

"Do we dare to be ourselves? That is the question that counts." ~ Pablo Casals

I had a funny conversation today. I (recently) changed my profile wording on this blog to be reflective of this exercise in growth I did a few weeks ago. Short version of that exercise - name 3 women you admire, 3 things about them, and 3 reasons why you do. Then you take that and you can SEE for yourself what others see in you AND what is possible for you to see in yourself. So I decided to take those words and make them my Profile Paragraph.

And it kind of makes me chuckle to read it. For while I do believe that I AM that/those things, I also am so many other things (that didn't make the list). And I am really not ashamed or embarrassed by those things. Now, that's not to say that I don't wish I wasn't this or that or less of this or that, but it is me, all me.

So I thought I would take this opportunity to round out my profile picture - here. 'Cuz it's all me too...

...I'm (also) impatient, quick to react, obsessed with lists and fantastic fine point pens, think way too much about what I do wrong, am too loud, have a whiny voice, paid $10,000 to have a full tummy tuck and then gained 50 pounds in other places, hate loud music IN my ears, am too naive, don't tell my husband, daughters, friends, parents and sisters enough how much I love them, can't jump -- no really, not AT ALL, I can't wear high heels anymore (since the $10,000 surgery) which sucks and makes me look fatter, never really could "play" like a kid, have to do 14 things at one time because I can't sit still, and I hate fruit in anything but my hand.

That was my funny conversation today. No, I didn't tell this person all of that, I just thought of it all while she and I were chatting about profile wording. OH, and sometimes I'm not a good listener and fail to own that and apparently pretend to listen while in reality I was apparently building another list instead of honoring the person speaking to me. Ma'an, I make my own a*& tired!

But what I thought about most was, why don't our profile paragraphs read like this? After all, is it so daring to be our true selves?

No comments:

Post a Comment