My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Momma's Words

“The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave…”

My Ma doesn't know this, but I decided that SHE is gonna write my blog today. Rosie (as we call her, nicknamed that because she is SOOOO the Golden Girls character, Rose Nyland, played by Betty White) is a fiercely passionate person about our US military.

Fierce, unyielding, passion.

My brother in law, Big Joel (well what do you call a man that is 6'8" and 275 pounds of solid muscle -- and a little beer, he'll tell ya') has been in Kuwait for almost a year for this most recent tour. He was also promoted to Major this past year and my two nephews and my (baby) :o) sister are all holding down the fort w/ my Momma until Big Daddy comes home in three weeks!

So there's the background on my military family, that I am soooo proud of, and here are the words of my Ma from her email to me/us today (seriously, can't you just feel the tears of pride welling up as you read her words!!??!)...

Just a note to let ya all know that Joel received the Bronze Medal two days ago for his service in Iraq. Not that you will hear this news from Joel or Taryn, especially Joel, but allow me to toot that horn. Joel of course feels he did not sacrifice enough to earn this medal of merit and honor, but that's Joel. Even though he was selected to do a report that went to the Pentagon and on to the Sec. of Def. that has nothing to do with his service, the man is way too humble. Which all our service men and women are, I wish that they were appreciated more and people would thank them for their service. When I worked at Home Depot, any person whether in uniform or not (once I found out they were in the service) I said Thank You to them!

Thanks to PAPA for his service, thanks to my stepfather for his service, my brothers for their service in NAM, to Uncle Mick, to grandpa Gee, and grandpa Sam, and Joel's great great great grandfather who fought in the civil war. Just say THANK YOU!

Ya gotta appreciate what these people give to this country. I have seen the sacrifice that these people go through, just these kids being without their father for a year is tough, don't kid yourself. Taryn and her duties are endless and yet she, like so many other service wives keeps it together and keeps the home front safe. In Taryn's case, she builds on to the home front. Love you all! Dot

You go Ma! You stand on that hill I am convinced you will die on! For your pride and love is contagious and beautiful!!
OH, and, congratulations my baby brother-in-law...hope you don't mind that we tooted your horn for your -- on behalf of ALL of our service men and women! You totally rock our world!

1 comment:

  1. My prayer is that mothers and wives and sisters and fathers and brothers and husbands the world over did not ever have to stand of this hill. That pride in and service to one's country did not mean people had to go to war. But that is not the case and may never be.

    So today I stand with your mother and say Thank You. To each and every member of the armed services and the people who stand behind them and keep the home fires burning.

    Congratulations to Joel.

    May God bless us every one.

    ReplyDelete