My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Prayers

"The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Lately, I've noticed that my blog circle of friends is filled with the written words of their prayers. And what I have noticed above all else, is that these beautifully vocal women who choose their words so very carefully and intentionally do not pray FOR anything. Rather, they give thanks in their prayers for so very much.

I have come to believe very strongly in not asking God for anything but rather to thank him for what I have been given even when I can not see or understand it. I have believed this for a very long time. I practice it in my mothering too. When we pray before meals, my family does not pray for anything from God, but rather we speak what we are thankful for that day. It's our end of the day gratitude reflection, if you will.

Amy Grant has a song out right now that so touches my heart called "Better Than a Hallelujah" and I just love the "permission" she sings about to cry out to God...that even though we pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody". While I think it's not wrong to cry out to God, I have come to believe that I have so much to be thankful for in my life that I just want God to know I hear him too.

When I open my blog every day, I read over and over again the thanks all these deeply thoughtful women pour out and it seems that of late, it has been resoundingly loud. I'm touched when I read their words of gratitude for their experiences (no matter how grave), their new beginnings and discoveries, their past reflections and growth, their compassion and their undying love for others and belief in raising others up, and for their playing BIG despite all those that would try to crumple their greatness.

I'm thankful tonight for the all the prayers I have read lately that seem to once again want to lift up the world and I'm thankful again for being able to feel their love for others...since I consider myself to be one of the "others" in the world any ol' way.

Dear God,
Thank you for your many voices in the world that remind us of the beauty and love you created in us and around us. Thank you for my voice to say thank you and thank you for all the changes you have created in me. ~ Amen

I think my blog is an opportunity for my own growth even more than it has been. I used to keep a gratitude journal, but I KEPT it to myself. I've been looking for a new purpose for my blog (since I found a "job" and all) :o) and since what really moves me is noticing the greatness around me, I think that is the direction I will take my blog. I will still want to chat about what crappy gardener I am or how I've noticed things and people in my world, but I feel strongly pulled to be more grateful.

And I have a lot to be grateful for.

1 comment:

  1. "Gratitude preserves old friendships, and procures new. "
    (Anonymous)

    I listened to a great sermon this morning - mostly about gratitude. I spent some time this evening reading others' thoughts on the subject. A grateful heart is like the cream cheese filling in your danish rolls! It makes everything yummier!

    ReplyDelete