My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Perspective Gals

Annie, Caroline and I have written our intro articles, our first official topic articles, and have submitted them to CityGal Magazine. It was really, really fun doing it!

For our intros, we were asked to come up with a name (something Gals - we went with Perspective Gals) and introduce ourselves, list our favorite quote, and then discuss our goals for writing. So, I thought I would copy and paste our intro articles here for you. I do not know what the final, edited version will be, but will post the link here as soon as we get word. Our first article is on FASHION, and as soon as those are edited, I will also link here for you.

I think the girls did a fantastic job! And I even learned something (more) about each of them in reading their intros! And that's what this is all about after all....

Perspective Gals, Mom

Favorite Quote: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

My name is Tracey, but you can call me Sally ~ as in Sally Sunshine. I have had that nickname for more than 15 or 20 years now and I earned it!


Since before I was a teenager, though I didn’t know it, I was a stand for making an impact in children’s lives. Back then, I was the world’s best and busiest babysitter. When I was 19, I became a volunteer at Children’s Hospital of WI. When I was in my lower 20’s, I became a Big Sister (and still am in love with my “little” – she is now in her mid-twenties). Ten years ago, I became a step mom to two of the most beautiful children you’d ever want to meet. Annie (Gracey as I call her) is 14 and has just started High School. Caroline (I call her Mary) is 12 and just entered Middle School. They’re not your typical teenagers by any stretch of the imagination. They are love and joy-filled, confident, aspiring, respectful, and fun. Eight years ago, I became a Girl Scout leader and even though our girls are in High School and Middle School now, we still have a troop of 13 amazing young woman determined to make a difference in their communities. Fast forward to 2009…we decided to become a Foreign Exchange student Host Family. Our daughter, “Stefi” stole our hearts within the first hour and when she left to go back to Mexico, a little piece of me left with her and the other parts are still weeping from the loss.


I love to acknowledge children – smile at them, talk to them as equals, compliment them, High-Five ‘em – simply acknowledge their greatness in the course of any given day. You see, what I hold so important in my heart (to make an impact on children) has been what has had the greatest impact on me.

And that is really what these articles that my daughters and I will be writing about – the impact of everyday issues on each of us from our very own perspectives. We are going to broach a topic from three different, yet equally respectable positions --everyday topics that have different, not right or wrong, viewpoints. We’ll take these topics and tell you what we each, separately, think about them in the hopes of opening your eyes, your children’s eyes or your parent’s eyes to another consideration ~ to make an impact on your thinking.

Our goal will be to open up discussions within our community that expand possibility, that inspire change, that move you, and that touch your heart.

Annie Burdick
Perspective Gals, Daughter, 14

Favorite Quote: “In life, there are no mistakes, only lessons.”

I am not going to start this article by saying, “Hi, my name is Annie and I like swimming, reading and laughing” because that is beyond generic. But, other than that, I really don’t know how I want to start this. Well, I guess I can sum myself up like this…my sister Stefi always said I was quite charming and I loved it. But it’s not entirely true; I am totally quiet around people I don’t know. Most people who know me would say I’m funny-which I like to think is true. And I’m smart and pretty awesome (I hope). I do love swimming, reading and laughing and I adore pizza and French fries. I think the best things we are given in life are family and friends. But enough about me.

I hope our articles will make you smile, but mostly I hope it will make you think and understand a different perspective.

Caroline Burdick
Perspective Gals, Daughter, 12

Favorite Quote: “Well, we can’t all come and go by bubble!” –Elphaba (Wicked the Musical)

Let’s start this off with a question. Have you ever looked at life differently? I have. In fact, I try to do it often. Because, when you look at the blue sky through purple colored eyes, your life can change. My step-mom (Ma) always says that my “sky is purple” and that I’m “her butterfly”. I know that, theoretically, she’s right. I see a sunset as God’s painting, and a daisy sticking up through the concrete as a lonely friend, and everything is a good idea for a story because I’m a writer.

I like to make people laugh, or smile, or see things in a way they never would have seen them before. I am full of ideas, laughs, smiles, songs, dances and love. My friends say I’m awesome, smart, crazy, funny, and sweet. Bottom line - I am a creative, joyful, 12 year old girl.

In this article, and my section, I will share my opinion or perspective on the topic. The topic will be a situation that you would find in a lot of everyday households. We will give our opinion on the topic (agree, don’t agree, like, dislike, and why) and you can read our opinions and create one of your own. I hope you can use our perspectives and reasoning to think about the topic and your opinion and maybe change it. I hope kids and teens will learn (from someone other than their parents) why the topic is a rule, and that parents will discover (from someone other than their kids) why their kids don’t agree with some rules.

Because, when you look at something through different eyes, your perspective can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment