My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Friday, May 13, 2011

Another Woman on this Path

My good friend is about to start the same journey that I started on nearly two years ago and what was the precipice to starting my blog. She has held a high ranking corporate job for the last few years that, in my opinion, has become what has defined her.

Quite literally, I felt like my friend died. In fact, for this past year, I thought to myself "huh, I never lost a friend a before". And I was learning to be OK with it. Not good, just ok.

I woke up a few weeks ago and thought that my decision to be OK w/ it didn't come from love but rather fear. So I sent her a card. A simple, say what friendship means to me and that I was thinking of her, card. Nothing beyond that mattered nor was anything else "true". Just that in my heart and for the past 15+ years, I have loved her. She was lost, and that didn't change my love.

I didn't like who she had become very much, but at her core, she was still funny, joy filled, and adorable. And I didn't have to like her in the moment -- much like y/our kids. You may not always like them in a moment here and there, but at your core, you are still love. And they are still love.

She is at a crossroads now. Her job is dissolving before she made the choice for it to (though she was on that path) and she is the bread winner of the family. The pressure will certainly become overwhelming very shortly. I hope, skip that...I pray that she will find a job that will use all of her skills, keep her home a little more with her babies, and will bring the joy back to her life at work. She's really so good at "work". And here's the thing, in all my life (w/ her) she has held two truths closely. One, she wanted to be a mom of twin boys. That almost happened, but God had a different plan for "them". The other is that she has always said that she wanted to be a business owner because she didn't want to just keep making someone else successful. She has never waivered from those two truths, so I hope that now is her time.

Either way, she is certainly on a path of discovery -- of self, of worth, of greatness. And I for one will be her to support her as I know all too well what this road looks like. I hope that she discovers, as Marianne Williamson says, that she is “powerful beyond measure” and to let her light shine and be brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment