My favorite quote (or reminder as I like to think of them)...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Marianne Williamson - A Return to Love)

Monday, April 25, 2011

Their Friends

Ever since Mexico, I've been thinking about what great kids my girls are. On that trip, we did not have one, not one, disagreement, tiff, disciplinary "talk" -- nuthin'. A whole week completely surrounded by each other and never once did anyone ever change their tone. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional, I get that we didn't have the pressures of everyday life to cope with, but that's still a long time to be in each others' constant company and get along so wonderfully. They really are turning into such great teenagers and young women. Fun, gracious, curious, kind and loving.

When we came home, Annie had a friend (Carmel) over. And I couldn't help but find a smile across my heart at what a lovely young lady this, and her other friends (especially Anita, Christina & Emily) are. The same is true for Caroline. Her friends too, especially Kayla & Emily, are kind, outgoing, loving and gracious. I'm so happy for them. I'm so happy for us. I'm so happy that my girls will spend their teenage years with such "good girls" and the rest of their lives knowing they chose their friends wisely and will forever be changed for doing so.

I always tell them that it's about choices and we have the chance to make the right choice -- usually that is when I am angry and disciplining them for something, but in this case, I couldn't have made better choices for them. I'm so happy for the choices they made and continue to make in the friend department.

They are both also best friends with their cousin, Carolyn. The three of them together are truly an example of Love in Action. Carolyn (Boojie) pushes them to do new things, Caroline makes them laugh and be crazy and Annie keeps them on the right path. I love their dynamics and I love that they will forever spend the rest of their lives in love with each other -- challenging each other, helping each other, and enjoying each others lives together.

My children have definitely chosen from love, not fear, when it comes to those that fill that lives with joy. And I, for one, am SO enjoying how bright their lives are shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment